Let your guest of honor know they're never too old to celebrate with a good-humored party! Whether they're turning 30 or 60 (or somewhere in-between) here's a few ideas to get the party rockin'!
Tip: Approach the party preparations in a lighthearted and celebratory way. This’ll help the guest of honor feel flattered.
Party Idea: Play with your food
Add name cards for the food items, such as:
- "Better-with-Age ____________" (something involving cheese or wine)
- "The Golden Years _______________"
Set out a few "poking-fun" foods:
or soft food (for a toothless friend of the birthday girl/boy)
- Plate of prunes
- Bottle of vitamins, fiber remedy or Tums
Party Idea: Decorate with....
Childhood pictures of the guest of honor
- Gold decorations, gold metallic plates, gold napkins, and gold confetti
Party Idea: Add a Theme
Party: Ask guests to wear clothes of the decade, play popular songs of
- 80's Party: Ask guests to wear 80's clothes (if they don't have any, try a thrift store), play 80's music top hits, and have some 80's trivia questions on hand.
- Toga Party: Where the guest of honor is the emperor, and everyone is in a toga.
cocktails into black Martini glasses and set out black coasters for
guests to set their drinks on.
- Set the tables with black tablecloths, black napkins, and black plates for guests.
- Set the tabletops with black candelabras.
- Then create a "pop" of color on the party table with a table runner in the guest of honor's favorite color.
- Host a
chocolate fountain with all kinds of dipping items
- Serve chocolate drinks like chocolate martini's
guests to wear glamorous attire
- Set up a poker table or blackjack table
- Use playing cards as coasters or nametags
She's/He's A Dinosaur:
might say: "BREAKING NEWS: A Dinosaur has been spotted at (address of
birthday boy/girl). The dinosaur is 'TIMISOLDERTHANUS'. Come and
celebrate _____ being older than dinosaurs on _____"
- Decorate with dinosaur items, and in neutral colors like beige and army green.
Whine & Dine:
- As bday boy/girl gets older, they get cranky, cranky, cranky and love to complain about things that annoy them. They are also experts at 'early bird' dining. So celebrate with whine (wine) and dine dinner party.
Tip: If it's a surprise party, make sure it's clearly stated on the invite.
Party Idea: Games
- Play retro games like a potato-sack race, red rover, musical chairs.
- Pin the
toupee on the bald man
- Twenty questions shouted in your good ear
- Spin the bottle of Mylanta
- Musical recliners
- Red Rover, Red Rover the nurse says 'bend over'
Sag, you're it!
(Easy) Printable Games:
- It's All About The Birthday Star: Think you know the Birthday Girl or Birthday Boy the best? You might be surprised! Have guests fill in this questionnaire about the party star and find out who really knows them the best!
- Over-The-Hill Bingo: This Bingo game is pre-filled with all those hysterical reminders of getting older, like trifocals and dentures. With our Game Card Generator, you get a different Over the Hill Bingo Card for each player - even if you have 200 players! Customizable with the Birthday Girl or Birthday Boy's name. Call card included.
- You Might Be Older Than Dirt: You just might be older than dirt if you know the answers to these trivia questions! A must-play for any Over-the-Hill party.
- Over-The-Hill Golden Oldies: Players may just break into a little song as they compete in this game! The 'old timers' and nostalgia buffs will probably remember the words to "It's My Party"... but will they remember who sang it??
- Celebrity Geezers: Tape a celebrity name on guests' back, telling them their celebrity is (or was) still "going strong" long after youth was gone. They are only allowed to ask yes/no questions of other guests for help. Example celebrities include: Julia Child, Walter Cronkite, Diane Keaton, Sean Connery, Cher, Bill Murray, Andy Rooney, the entire PGA Senior tour, etc.
- Older Than: Players take turns coming up with creative things that the guest of honor is older than. For example: movies that are celebrating 20 years of classic entertainment, cell phones, personal computers, music videos, microwave ovens, and other things that seem to have been around for ages.
- Walker Races: A crazy game to give guests a taste of being old! Use canes or walkers for a race. Tying the aids to players’ legs will ensure they don’t use their relative youth to cheat. (Races can be arranged in relays or other contests to create team events.)
- Eye Test: Use an eye test chart, but instead of random letters, spell out fun birthday or over the hill messages. You might even borrow bifocal prescription eyeglasses for players to wear while they decipher the chart.
Party Idea: Picture Favor
Have guests pose next to a walker or cane with the birthday girl/boy, and print the digital picture for them to take home.
Party Idea: Seat of Honor
Have a seat of honor for the birthday girl/boy - a wheelchair!
Tip: Poke fun at their age, but don't embarass them.
Party Idea: Gag gifts
plate: "Over the hill", "I B OLD", "The Wrinkled State"
- Walking cane
- Denture cleaner set
- 1 year subscription to "Modern Maturity"
- Energy Tabs
- Vision Enhancer (magnifying glass)
In : Articles